About this Blog

Welcome! Thanks for checking out On Food Stamps.

I created this blog in 2009 when I began working at the Los Angeles Regional Foodbank. My work at this organization opened my eyes to food justice issues in America, and I had a strong desire to better understand the difficulties many people face when trying to access healthy food on a limited budget. So, I embarked on my own Food Stamp Challenge, living on $31/week as a vegan. I used this blog to chronicle my experience.

While my Food Stamp Challenge project has come to an end, you can see what I learned from it by reading the Greatest Hits posts linked to the right side of the page. Please excuse any out-of-date links, as I am no longer updating this blog on a regular basis.

Stay Hungry,

Julie

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Technology


Technology has played a very important role in my quest for healthy, sustainable, and nutritious food over course of this blogging project.

As I struggle to eat well as a diabetic this week, I have relied every more heavily on technology. It just occurred to me that everything I have learned about eating better as a diabetic I have learned on the Internet.

I've depended on websites and online calorie calculators to help me learn about diabetes and to keep my diet on track. I've received very valuable encouragement from my online community through emails and blog post comments. I've felt less alone and less isolated thanks to the wealth of diabetes resources on the Internet.

As the week comes to a close, I can't help but give a big 'ole shout out to Internet technology. And of course, this gets me thinking... what about those who do not have a home computer or reliable Internet access?

While most people in North America are online, there is no doubt in my mind that low-income Americans have less reliable access to the Internet than their wealthier countrymen. Low-income Americans may also be less equipped with advanced research skills, which really come in handy when researching a disease that requires a total diet overhaul.

After this week, I am very aware of how Internet access and research skills impact one's ability to succeed in the quest for a healthier diet. I know that if I didn't have my laptop or the Internet this week I would have failed miserably at following a diabetic diet. I wouldn't have known where to start, and I wouldn't have had my online community to bolster my spirits and feed me more resources. I imagine that trying to shape up and turn your diet around is near impossible if your family is unable to afford a home computer or Internet service.

No comments:

Post a Comment