About this Blog

Welcome! Thanks for checking out On Food Stamps.

I created this blog in 2009 when I began working at the Los Angeles Regional Foodbank. My work at this organization opened my eyes to food justice issues in America, and I had a strong desire to better understand the difficulties many people face when trying to access healthy food on a limited budget. So, I embarked on my own Food Stamp Challenge, living on $31/week as a vegan. I used this blog to chronicle my experience.

While my Food Stamp Challenge project has come to an end, you can see what I learned from it by reading the Greatest Hits posts linked to the right side of the page. Please excuse any out-of-date links, as I am no longer updating this blog on a regular basis.

Stay Hungry,

Julie

Friday, June 5, 2009

Freezing Fresh Vegetables

I bought these green beans at the Echo Park Farmers' Market yesterday for $1.

There was no way I could eat them in time. In my fridge I still have fresh carrots and cabbage, lots of recently cooked beans (incorporated into two dishes), a yam, and some other random produce that will go bad if I don't eat it soon.

Even though I am still well stocked with fruits and vegetables, I couldn't pass up these beans because they were a great deal. Freezing them was the only way to go. If this works out it will prove to be a pretty powerful new skill. Freezing means I will be able to buy lots of a certain vegetable when it is cheap and conserve it for later on.

I followed the directions on this website.

I found them pretty easy to follow.

The whole thing took me 30 minutes.

Now the green beans look like this:

Ready to freeze.

Whenever I incorporate them into a meal I will let you guys know how it goes. I hope those tupperware containers hold up. I got them from the 99-cents-only store so we'll see...



In a few hours I am going to be face to face with massive amounts of food that I can't consume. I will be going to a Wine Tasting event for work. It is our biggest fund raiser of the year, and I am interested to see how it goes for me. For months everyone in my department has been working their asses off for this Wine Tasting. All the food is donated, and it will be enough for 500 people.

I'll have to make sure to bring my will power with me, eh? I hear there's a chocolate fountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment